Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 8: It takes a village

Many cultures around the world have something similar to the adage "It takes a village to raise a child" and while this is true for any parent, I have found this to be especially true for working mamas. What is tricky though is being able to ask for help. For whatever reason there seems to be a hang up about that. Maybe the unrealistic ideal that we mamas are suppose to be able to do it all-- work, care for our child/ren, keep our homes and every other responsibility that we have. It just isn't possible. I have learned a lot about prioritizing these last seven months because I don't just switch between being a mama and being a teacher. These two aspects of my life need to co-exist peacefully and sometimes they don't. That is when I need to be brave enough to ask for help and it is critical to have clear expectations and priorities of myself. Honestly, the last thing I have time for is feeling guilty.

No comments: