Thursday, February 20, 2014

What's Cookin'?

Here is what is cooking for dinner last night (Wednesday): Easy Balsamic Chicken Roasted Carrots It won't be ready until 8:20-ish, but that is okay The Doc didn't get home from the sale barn until 7:30 and is currently moving snow. These recipes are brand new to me and I am very excited to try them! I love easy recipes, seriously the most time consuming part of prep was peeling the carrots and cutting the tops off and defrosting the chicken! Seriously gotta love a recipe like that! My house also smells totally amazing right now! I figure I will make some instant rice to go with it and we will have an easy peasy dinner! It was delicious, I did check on the carrots and chicken half way through and ended up adding more liquid to them. If I had left them I think they would have been very dry.You just need to keep an eye on them. One of my goals for 2014 is to limit the amount of waste that we have... and what I am starting with is limiting the amount of waste that we have in the kitchen. Historically we have thrown away tons of food because we didn't get to it before the expiration date, or we didn't feel like eating that particular leftover for the hundredth time, or it just got lost in the deep dark recesses of the fridge. It was frustrating to me because we spent all of this money on food we didn't eat. It was a waste of our resources, especially in light of all those who don't have enough food. I have had to become more intentional about making things that can be used in more than one way or will last a little bit longer. While we are not perfect at this, we definitely have come a long way in terms of what we need to throw out. Unfortunately food does spoil before we get time to eat it, but we are definitely getting much better at it.

No comments: