Saturday, October 5, 2013

Days 5/6: A slow start

Today is a foggy, dreary, chilly day. It is hard to find motivation for anything other than staying in bed/ napping/ reading all day... but I am moving on to a new project today. Our bedroom is at stand still until the other rooms are ready and things can be moved to where they need to go. When we moved in things got put it rooms where it would seem like they would fit. There wasn't always tons of thought as to where things should be moved. So, our bedroom currently holds two pieces of extra furniture. One dresser will be moving to a different bedroom, and one shelf will either be kept or given to someone else. I haven't fully decided what I want to do with it. I just know that I don't like it in our bedroom. But, my husband needed a place to put clothes and so it was repurposed for his clothes as a temporary solution. That is the problem with our house, there are a lot of temporary solutions and nothing super permanent. Neither of us are enamored with how our house has been laid out, but at the same time we don't feel like there is a lot of solutions to the problem either. This creates a feeling of stuckness. I want to love our house, but I don't have gobs and gobs of money to be spending on home organizing systems. So, sometimes I feel defeated before I even start on a project. I need to think outside of the box and be thrifty with what we do have or purchase quality items that are going to stand up to the test of time. I firmly believe in purchasing quality items for things that are going to be with you for a long time. I am not however going to rush out and buy a whole bunch of items that I don't truly need. What I discovered this morning while reflecting on our house is that the house project won't be linear. Our room is not as I thought that they would be. The rooms are so interconnected since we have a small house. The other aspect of that is we didn't really plan out well how we were going to use each space or the layout. That my friends is a HUGE mistake. I haven't loved how we laid out the house in terms of how we will use each room. Though, it has taken me a year to get to the point of wanting to change it. The master bedroom: I moved the bed along a different wall, which makes the room a little easier to "zone", but the Doc doesn't like it. He says it makes the room look smaller. I did convince him that we should try it for a little while, and if we don't like it, we can move it back. The furniture layout doesn't have to be permanent. If the Doc really ends up hating where it is at right now. I just wanted to try out a couple of options. It also provides you with a different perspective. The temporary furniture has temporary spots. The goal is for them to be ready to be moved to their new homes by the end of the month (or shortly after, I will need help moving the furniture around.) I vacuumed until pieces started coming off. It is a very temperamental thing, and I wasn't super patient with it. So we will have to finish vacuuming at a later date. I did find a bag of garbage in our bedroom... receipts, and other things. So, there is definite progress in here. The room needs: more lighting, screws to tighten/ replace dresser handles, curtain rods (2) and curtains. It also needs the third dresser that belongs up here. Today, I am going to be working on the upstairs office. A lot of these items will be moving downstairs to the living room, and so I need to be decluttering in here so I know what kind of shelving I will need downstairs in the living room for all of our odds and ends that we keep down there. What is your plan for this Saturday?

No comments: