Friday, January 2, 2015

A New Year means new fashion?

The New Year is suppose to be a time of reflection and hope... looking back at the year that is wrapping up and looking forward to a new year. We can big events coming,  but we didn't necessarily see all of the details as to how it will play out. An example of this i when Little Man was born this past March. We knew that he was coming, but we were unsure of how it was going to go. There are so many different variables. We have loved being parents, and Little Man is definitely someone to cherish. Parenthood is also an example of constantly evolving. We are not the same parents that we are today as we were hen he was born and we will continue to evolve.

The same thing could be said for a closet-- my closet will continue to evolve, and not just because I am continually purchasing new clothes. Honestly, I don't have time for that despite what others seem to think.I can remember very clearly what happened while wearing certain pieces from my closet. They will forever be a part of that memory, but there other times when it was nearly as important.  I have had some really beautiful and creative outfits that I have loved and have worn repeatedly. I also have those outfits that are not my favorite and probably will never wear again, but at least I  tried something new. That is the nice thing about my closet. Things are remixable and can be worn several different ways. Not just in the outfit that it was purchased for. This last year has been a year of learning-- in 2013 I needed to create a remixable wardrobe because I was pregnant and I couldn't wear larger non-maternity clothes anymore. They didn't it right and they were uncomfortable. I translate that knowledge into my 2014 wardrobe, thankfully some of my clothes still fit after I had my son, but unfortunately some did not. I have realized that it is not a race and have been slowly working on building my wardrobe. My plan is to add another pair of jeans, maybe two pairs. I have one pair that fits and that I like, but I spend a lot of my time in work clothes, so I don't need a ton of pairs-- but it would be nice to have more than one pair. I also am lacking sweaters. Which I find interesting. I live in the midwest, but in fact do not own a lot of sweaters. I do not know how that has happened, so I will be adding a couple sweaters to my wardrobe. Especially now, as all winter items are on sale!

I felt unsatisfied with my closet before. It didn't feel very chic or impressive-- I often feel like I didn't have anything to wear. My clothes need to make sense for what I do everyday! For me feeling  chic doesn't necessarily mean sky high heels and little black dresses. My clothes need to reflect that the majority of my time is spent at my job, teaching children... and when I am not at my job I am with my son who is just now figuring out that he likes to "Move it! Move it! Move it!" I spend a lot of my time on the floor, dancing, and all sorts of other things.. so I need movable and flexible clothing. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a beautifully created ensemble-- even though it might not be easily washable or practical. 

I feel like I have a really solid base, other than my jeans and sweater situation. They are pieces that are easily added in. I will probably have to replace some items and I am on the hunt for some shoes to add to my collection. This year-- my goal for wardrobe is to conscientious about what I am purchasing and making sure that these items are remixable and are easy to care for.

I hope you join me as I learn how to make my wardrobe work for me! Happy New Year, Friends!

No comments: